Subject: Re: bash terminal weirdness
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ian Fitchet <I.D.Fitchet@fulcrum.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/22/1995 17:50:34

 "Neil J. McRae" <neil@demon.net> wrote:

 > Does anyone know why bash gives the staircase effect when executing normal
 > commands, I've tried the stty settings to no avail.

>I notice this only when telnet'ing to a NetBSD machine (with a working
>telnetd) from a broken host (such as a SunOS box...)  You can kludge it
>into working order by adding the `-k' flag to telnetd in /etc/inetd.conf...

 After some investigation last week, a colleague discovered that
telnetd effectively does a

stty extproc

 which says that the "other end" is going to do something with the
terminal.  rlogin, correctly, effectively has "stty -extproc", since
the "other end" isn't doing anything with the tty.

 I was in the process of dragging current to see if this had been
fixed when our office PC died...

Cheers,

	Ian