Subject: Re: Help w/ install
To: Charles M. Hannum <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>
From: None <morgoth@MIT.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/20/1995 06:39:11
In your message of Sun, 19 Mar 1995 11:45:11 -0500 you said:

To:  morgoth@MIT.EDU
Cc:  netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG
Date:  Sun, 19 Mar 1995 11:45:11 -0500
From:  "Charles M. Hannum" <mycroft@ai.mit.edu>

   It seems that my computer has a SCSI-1 adapter board (adaptec
   1542C) and a SCSI-2 hard drive (seagate ST3600N).

The 1542C can talk to SCSI 2 disks just fine.

   DOS, [...] have no problems identifying the geometry of my hard
   drive, but NetBSD seems to have problems doing so.  Is there any
   way around this?

It's impossible for me to help you unless you specify what the
symptoms of the `problems' are, and what version of NetBSD you're
trying to boot.

------- End of Forwarded Message

During the installation procedure, after I have inserted the install (file
system) disk, NetBSD 1.0 (the version I am installing) attempts to determine
the geometry of my hard drive, and outputs these lines:

aha0 targ 0 lun 0:  <unknownunknowngarbage> SCSI0 direct fixed
sd0 at scsibus0sd0: mode sense (4) returned nonsense; using ficticious
	geometry

my system is as follows:

Gateway 2000 486DX2/66 PCI bus w/ 16 megs ram
Adaptec 1542C scsi controller
Seagate ST3600N 500 meg scsi hard drive
Diamond Viper PCI video card w/ 2 megs VRAM
Colorado Memory Systems Jumbo 250 tape backup
Toshiba XM3501B quad-spin internal scsi cd-rom drive
Sounblaster 32AWE

I am using the correct install floppy (kcaha), and the hex address of my
1542C is correctly set at 0x330.  As I said before, DOS, Linux, and FreeBSD
all are able to install with no problems, but NetBSD 1.0 is not.  Any help
would be VERY appreciated.  Thank you.