Subject: More on problems with INN 1.4 and NetBSD-1.0
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Gerald C. Simmons <darykon!simmons@nwnexus.wa.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/17/1995 08:48:06
Thanks for all the suggestions on fixing my problems. All were tried but to
no avail! :-(

However, being the tenacious user I am, I dug in deeper. Here's what I found:

* I replaced rnews in /bin with a script of 'cat > /usr/local/news/articles'
* I then ran uuxqt on one UUCP batch of news. I got a file in compressed form
  with # !cunbatch as the first line, just like man rnews points out.
* So, I deleted the first line and uncompressed the rest, and got a file
  looking like articles with # !rnews commands. Great!
* I then ran rnews with this as the input file, and voila! Innd accepted ALL
  the articles.

* Another piece of information. If I run rnews with no input (^D), I get the
  message I reported earlier.

* So, then I did the same experiment over except not uncompressing the file.
  I got this from rnews 'news-unpack: unknown program name'

Looks like when rnews runs, it wants to call 'cunbatch.' According to the
man page on rnews, it's supposed to recognize 'cunbatch.' Now, there's a
program in /usr/local/news/bin/rnews called c7unbatch. I have no idea why
this is a problem for NetBSD-1.0 and not NetBSD-0.9a. I suspect one or more
of the porting definitions needs to change. Any ideas?

Gerry Simmons
simmons@darykon.wa.com