Subject: Re: SLIP packet routing problems
To: Stephen Champion <steve@herb.kuru.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/17/1995 18:13:33
According to Stephen Champion:

>	Something being completely misunderstood here is that in this case,
>the NetBSD-i386 is the SLIP server and is on the local net, and the slip
>client is Windows.

OK - I was wondering about this, things were getting a bit vague :-)

>	What I'm wondering about is that in the scripts Steven posted
>earlier, slattach was missing.  Is slattach not needed on the server
>side of a SLIP link?

Eek now you are trying my memory!  I cannot remember the script now.
If he is running sliplogin then I don't think you need slattach
because the sliplogin command does all the work of setting up the line
for SL/IP for you (though I am not 100% on this as I rarely set up an
incoming slip).  You need slattach to establish an outgoing slip link
(i.e. when you are on a netbsd box and you dial up a ISP or the like)

>	If it wasn't there, and it is needed, how did he get so
>far as to ping the NetBSD server from the client without it?

Given that sliplogin does the setup for you then you are able to ping
the other end of your slip link because that _has_ an explicit route
back to you (I remember seeing that script).  It is just other devices
on the network that don't know how to get to the slip client because
the client looks like it is on the same physical network as the server
(due to them both being in the 16 subnet)

"It's fifteen hundred miles to Ankh-Morpork" he said.  "We've got
three hundred and sixty three elephants, fifty carts of forage, the
monsoon's about to break and we're wearing ... we're wearing ... sort
of things, like glass, only dark... dark glass things on our eyes..."
        - Terry Pratchett "Moving Pictures".