Subject: Source upgrade from 0.9 to 1.0
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Avneesh Sachdev <asachdev@ISI.EDU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/16/1995 14:07:54
Hi,
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask this but I'll give it a go..

(I am a beginner at OS stuff, so thats the reason why most of this seems
funny or obvious to you)
I've "inherited" an i486 running NetBSD 0.9. I wish to install
the 1.0 version on it.
Since some people are going to do some low level stuff with it (especially
with the LAN interface ), I need a source upgrade.

As I understand it, I have 2 options

1. Reinstalling the 1.0 by compiling the source code locally.
What do I do here?
( Can I FTP the souce to the local disk, "make" it and then use the install
floppy to install it ?  What happens to the i386 specific drivers in this
case (for one) ?)

2. Do a binary upgrade to 1.0 as directed in the Install document
and then bring the sources (e.g. the kernel), modify them as required,
recompile them and replace them. Is it possible to do it this way?

Any help will be appreciated

Thanks in anticipation

Avneesh