Subject: Re: SLIP packet routing problems
To: Steven Vetzal <svetzal@gold.interlog.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/16/1995 13:25:51
According to Steven Vetzal:

>On Wed, 15 Mar 1995, John Maier wrote:
>
>> I have successfully got SLIP to work, but only peer to peer.  I.e. I can
>> ping NetBSD from Trumpet and I can ping from NetBSD to Trumpet.  Yea!
>>  However, I try to ping, for example, ftp.netbsd.org, nothing.  Let me run
>> it down.
>
>I wish I could offer some insight, but I'm having _exactly_ the same
>problem. I thought there might be something wrong with my interfaces or
>something, but it just seems like the kernel isn't echoing packets
>between the interfaces...

One thing that would help immeasurably would be an output from
"netstat -r".  Have you guys got a default route?  Does the other end
of your link know how to route back to you?  Do the other machines on
your net know how to route back to you?  Can you resolve the name
ftp.netbsd.org?

>I looked at your config files, and mine are virtually the same. I'm
>stumped...B
>
>> Yes I compiled GATEWAY into the kernel.
>
>Perhaps is there another option we need?

Unless you are routing between two networks you should not need the
gateway option....

"It's fifteen hundred miles to Ankh-Morpork" he said.  "We've got
three hundred and sixty three elephants, fifty carts of forage, the
monsoon's about to break and we're wearing ... we're wearing ... sort
of things, like glass, only dark... dark glass things on our eyes..."
        - Terry Pratchett "Moving Pictures".