Subject: PPP
To: None <l35286@alfa.ist.utl.pt>
From: Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/15/1995 13:12:03
Joao Carlos Neves Cabral <l35286@alfa.ist.utl.pt> wrote:

>When I use pppd with the "connect chat xxxx" option, I can't get chat to be
>lunched. My gess is that it doesn't initialize the modem port. When I type
>stty -f /dev/tty02 I get CS7 and PARENB. I can't change this with stty !

chat doesn't initialize the modem port, pppd does.

stty settings don't stick unless something else holds the port open,
because the driver resets the TTY settings when no processes have it
open.

>I've configured clocal in /etc/ttys, so it gets the clocal flag.

The actual flag is 'local'; if you use 'clocal' it won't work.

>My question is, how can I start pppd without entering and "shelling" cu.

It would help if you were to show us what's in your /etc/ppp/options
file, and the output generated by 'pppd -d'.

>One other thing comes when I connect through PPP to my service provider.
>Aparentely everything seems to be right, but after a few minutes of
>network usage, the connection hangs without leaving a notice. The modem

I have experienced this as well, but usually it takes longer for me.
I'm waiting for someone with more knowledge of TCP/IP and PPP to
figure it out. :-)

Make sure you have pppd set up to use RTS/CTS flow control (can't
remember the exact flag name).  I also set up my modem so that it
ignores +++AT escape sequences.
--
Mike Long <mike.long@analog.com>       PGP 2.6.2 public key signature:
VLSI Design Engineer                  CCBF225E7D3F7ECB2C8F7ABB15D9BE7B