Subject: None
To: <>
From: Joao Carlos Neves Cabral <l35286@alfa.ist.utl.pt>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/15/1995 09:06:47
Hi,

I have searched for the answers to these problems for the last week, but
so far I didn' t come to an answer, so I'll post it in here:

I've installed NetBSD 1.0 on my 386 machine with an Adaptec 1542CF SCSI adapter.
Ever since I've been trying to put pppd to work, without success.

I have an internal Zoom VFP 24.400 modem connected to tty02 / IRQ 9 / 0x3e8
(I have rebuilt the kernel for it to work).

When I use pppd with the "connect chat xxxx" option, I can't get chat to be
lunched. My gess is that it doesn't initialize the modem port. When I type
stty -f /dev/tty02 I get CS7 and PARENB. I can't change this with stty !

When I use cu, everything works fine and the modem connects to remote
systems. If I go into shell with ~!, and stty the modem port, it is
correctely configured to CS8/-parenb , and if I lunch pppd with chat,
it works fine.

I've configured clocal in /etc/ttys, so it gets the clocal flag.

My question is, how can I start pppd without entering and "shelling" cu.

One other thing comes when I connect through PPP to my service provider.
Aparentely everything seems to be right, but after a few minutes of
network usage, the connection hangs without leaving a notice. The modem
is still connected, but to network traffic is forwardeed. I have to
kill -TERM pppd and reconnect to get it back to work. The time it takes
to hang is variable. Sometimes it hangs right after connecting, sometimes
I'm downloading a 1MB file and it hangs at 500k... When I call through
cu as a terminal emulator, the connection doesn't hang. Also, when I used
pppd in FreeBSD, it didn't hang either.

Did anyone out there has ever experienced similar problems ? Is there any
way to fix these ?

I wanted to get the FreeBSD-current kernel version, but I can't transfer
more than 500k-1M without loosing the connection...

Any help would be apreciated,
Thanks,
Joao.