Subject: Re: ftp.netbsd.org name periodically disappears
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Ty Sarna <tsarna@endicor.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/14/1995 00:45:32
In article <199503131802.NAA15354@pain.lcs.mit.edu>,
Chris G Demetriou  <Chris_G_Demetriou@LAGAVULIN.PDL.CS.CMU.EDU> wrote:
> > Yesterday I could resolve ftp.netbsd.org, today I can't.  This happens
> > over and over again.  Does anyone else experience this or is it local
> > to GSFC?
>
> i've never seen it happen, from any site at which i've got an account.
>
> i'd bet that it's local nameserver bogons.  the nameservers for the
> NetBSD.ORG domain are well-known, very accessible, rock-solid, and
> well-maintained.

I reported this before. From two different sites I have the following
problem: netbsd.org won't resolve, but NetBSD.ORG will. Once NetBSD.ORG
is resolved, the local nameserver will cache it and correctly answer for
netbsd.org in any caplitalization. Again, I see this on two completely
seperate systems at two different companies a thousand mile appart
who each use different service providers. So, the screwup must be at a
fairly high level.

(I just probed around with nslookup and everything appears OK now,
though).

--
Ty Sarna                "I thought you were wrong before, but compared
tsarna@endicor.com       to now you were right" -- Exit 57