Subject: Re: ftp.netbsd.org name periodically disappears
To: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/13/1995 15:11:09
> Yesterday I could resolve ftp.netbsd.org, today I can't.  This happens
> over and over again.  Does anyone else experience this or is it local
> to GSFC?

By chance are you running SunOS and are doing DNS lookups via that weirdo
Sun DNS->NIS hack?

If so, we had large problems with this all of a sudden during the past couple
of weeks.  I would hazard to guess some paramter of DNS overflowed an internal
table somewhere inside of NIS, but I don't know for sure.

(We didn't have problems with just ftp.netbsd.org, we had problems resolving
other domains as well).  We eventually solved this by upgrading our shared
C library to do only DNS lookups.  If you're interested in this, please contact
me privately.

--Ken