Subject: trying to install NetBSD 1.0/i386 on an IBM ThinkPad 750
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, tp750@cs.utk.edu>
From: Keith Moore <moore@cs.utk.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/11/1995 20:18:13
I'm trying once again to install NetBSD 1.0 on my ThinkPad 750.
I've had zero luck so far.  I'm looking for suggestions.

System: TP750, 810 MB hard disk from Sigma Data, 20Mb memory
(4 built-in + 16Mb credit card), Dock I docking station
with wd8003e ethernet card in the isa slot in the dock.

Symptoms: the system gets wedged for no apparent reason.  This often
happens at the same place during installation.  For instance, with
one of the kernel-copy disks it happens right after the install
script newfs'es the hard disk and during the part where it's trying
to copy files over to it.  Sometimes the floppy light stays on when
the system is wedged; other times the hard drive light stays lit.
Using several different tricks, I finally managed to get the thing
installed on the hard disk.  But now the system boots from the hard
disk and gets wedged during fsck.

Things I've tried: I tried pulling the 16Mb card so there's only 4MB.
I tried using both the aha and the bt kernels.  I tried it with and
without the docking station.  I tried installing the latest IBM flash
BIOS upgrade.  I tried booting from the floppy with -as and telling
it to use the hard drive as root.  All of these things cause the
system to die at different times, but it still dies nonetheless.
When it does, there's no panic message or anything -- the system just
freezes up, and has to be power-cycled.

Any suggestions about other things to try, patches to apply, ways to
figure out where it's getting wedged -- are welcome.

--
Keith Moore                              http://www.cs.utk.edu/~moore/
Computer Science Department / University of Tennessee at Knoxville