Subject: Telnet CR and LF translations
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/06/1995 14:02:00
I've been playing with transfering data via Telnet, I've been running into a
slight
problem with NetBSD 1.0.
CRs and LFs get translated when sent from the host.
Example:
I've a file with different sequences of LFs an CRs.  I cat it out and the
data is
changed to this:

original data: What I actually get:
Hex:
cr lf sp  0D 00 0D 0A 20
cr cr sp  0D 00 0D 00 20
cr nl sp  0D 00 00 20
cr sp          0D 00 20
lf cr sp  0D 0A 0D 00 20
lf lf sp  0D 0A 0D 0A 20
sp cr sp  20 0D 00 20
sp lf sp  20 0D 0A 20

Pneumonic:
cr lf sp  cr nl cr lf sp
cr cr sp  cr nl cr nl sp
cr nl sp  cr nl nl sp
cr sp          cr nl sp
lf cr sp  cr lf cr nl sp
lf lf sp  cr lf cr lf sp
sp cr sp  sp cr nl sp
sp lf sp  sp cr lf sp

What do I need to do to my Telnet negotiations to stop this translation?

I've even tried adding -k to telnetd in the /etc/inet.conf.

What I'm negotiating in relation to line mode/kludge line mode:
In the telnetd man page, I checked what they have to say about this.
Here is what we're doing.

DONT SUPPRESS-GO-AHEAD
DO ECHO

Maybe I'm missing the purpose of line mode verses kludge mode.  From
what I read, line mode has the client do all of the editing and then
sends the line upon a enter, where kludge does character at a time,
editing on the host.

At where am I in error?

thanks for the help,
jam

*       John A. Maier          * Research Assistant For Datastorm    *
* E-mail: johnam@datastorm.com * Technologies Inc. (Procomm Plus)    *
*                              * (314) 443-3283                      *