Subject: Amiga loadbsd problems
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <cls@opera.dragon.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/04/1995 05:48:24
I recently pulled the loadbsd and netbsd files to try and get the netbsd
installation started, after having finally gotten an FPU for my
accelerator.  When I try:

    loadbsd -b netbsd

I get one line in my shell window about my having 8Mb fast ram starting
at some address, and 0Mb chip (but I really have 512k) and then the screen
changes completely to my background color, pauses for a minute and then
glitches (I get two short bursts of sound from the internal speaker, and
the screen does a weird dance, and then goes black).

Waiting at this point does nothing.  I tried removing boards, and even
disabling the accelerator RAM (which should have shown up as 12Mb fast ram)
but no good.

I pulled the Linux initial load software, and it works great, so I doubt
that it's my hardware, unless there's something that is simply not
supported currently in Amiga NetBSD.  Here's my config:

A2000, with CSA Derringer (50MHz, 68882 FPU, 4Mb 32-bit RAM), GVP A4008
SCSI with 8Mb fast ram, CEI A4066 ethernet, plus associated SCSI disks and
two floppy drives.  Regular CBM 2002 monitor, no special Agnus or other
chip upgrades, AmigaDOS 3.1.

Any hints?  I haven't found what the other loadbsd flags do.  Any and all
help appreciated, because I feel more supportive of the NetBSD effort,
since it maintains multiple platforms using the same base code.  That
makes me feel more comfortable - not like Amiga Linux, where they seem to
have to play catch-up once the Intel chip version is at a stable point, so
it seems behind the Intel version most of the time.
 Charles Streible | cls@opera.dragon.com         (home)