Subject: Re: DOS mount, I should have listened...
To: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
From: Brett Lymn <blymn@awadi.com.AU>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/02/1995 19:43:24
According to John Maier:

>I see my old partition(s) from an earlier install (NetBSD 0.9) and since I
>no longer need it (do I ?) I changed it to read:
>
>1 partitions:
>     size offset    fstype    [fsize    bsize cpy]
>  a:  166600        0    MS-DOS                 #(Cyl.  0-979)
>
>Still no good!!!  Help Help Help!!! All I wanted to do was try WinE!
>
>I cannot be blamed for not trying.

I we had a netbsd FAQ, this would have to be number 1!  To get the
correct numbers for the disklabel use the NetBSD fdisk program on the
disk.  It will tell you the sector offsets to plug into the disklabel.
Disklabel with these numbers and your should be away.  Remember to
make the fstype be MSDOS.

>BTW at least DOS still boots after my poking around!

You did better than I, I managed to trash my DOS partition a few times
before getting it right :-)

BTW there seem to be some nasty bugs in the MSDOS fs handling code - I
tried copying some large files (around 4Mb) from a NetBSD partition to
the MSDOS one - it corrupted the MSDOS filesystem or truncated the
file or both.  Small files worked fine (less than a Meg I think was
the magic value) but larger ones spewed.  I suspect a int/long
casting sort of problem but have not gone chasing it.

"Also, it takes a lot longer to get up North ..... The slow way"
        - "Clever Trevor" Ian Drury