Subject: Re: Does anyone have the binaries available for netbsd-current
To: Tim Jackson <timj@millenium.tiac.net>
From: Alistair G. Crooks <agc@uts.amdahl.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/02/1995 06:40:47
> 	I am now looking for aid and comfort from the netbsd-current
> release after chronic problems with NetBSD 1.0 stability.  Does anyone
> know where I can get the netbsd-current binaries...I tried building
> netbsd-current on Netbsd-1.0 and it just dont go.  Any help would be
> appreciated.

To the best of my knowledge, there are no binary sets available for
NetBSD-current on any platform - not while it's still easy/possible to
get from 1.0 to 1.0a (see my instructions on how to do such a thing on
the current-users list).

"...chronic problems with NetBSD 1.0 stability" is just a tad
overstating things, too.  Going by my own personal experience, I've
had no problems with 1.0 stability, and I've sent you private mail on
at least one occasion, asking you to take a few steps to narrow down
your problems, which you don't seem to have done.

-current hasn't been released - it's meant for people who aren't
afraid to check out partly-working software, with possible problems.
There's no guarantee that it will solve any of your "problems", and
there's every chance that it may create more.  Are you really sure you
want to do that?

Even if the answer to that question is "yes", you'd be better isolating
your problems at the moment before taking a leap into the unknown.

Do you have all 6 patches installed on NetBSD 1.0?

And, to re-iterate the previous mail I sent you, build a kernel with
DDB, try to make your problems happen again, and if they do then
you'll get a stack trace (in DDB), giving you an idea of what happened
when the error occurred, and allowing you to examine values in registers
etc.

Alistair
--
Alistair G. Crooks (agc@uts.amdahl.com)			   +44 125 234 6377
Amdahl European HQ, Dogmersfield Park, Hartley Wintney, Hants RG27 8TE, UK.