Subject: Re: BT 445s changover from AHA1542CF
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: James Lever <James.Lever@mailbox.uq.oz.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/02/1995 17:57:55
On Tue, 14 Feb 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:

> > ok I've recently made the change from the Adaptec 1542CF to the Buslogic
> > BT-445s and new problems arise.
> >
> > I can boot a kernel from the scsi.. mount the scsi when booted from floppy..
> > but I can't boot kernel from the scsi and then mount root from the scsi.
> >
> > can anyone shed some light on this prob.
> >
> > kernel loads
> > does usual probes and finds bt0 ...
>
> You have a seriously old version of the BIOS/firmware on your card,
> I recommend you call BusLogic and get some new proms.  You really want
> bios version 3.37 or later for a 445S.

ok after a little luck in finding another machine (locally) with a
buslogic card inside I was able to figure out that the problem appeared
to be with the ordering of the device drivers?? go figure.. after I
rebuilt my kernal (on said borrowed machine - luckily) I was able to boot
and work from sd0 just like it was the only drive in the system..

has anyone got any ideas why this is so?

anyway just thought a few people would like to know what the bug finally
appeared to be.

----
James Lever
Prentice Centre, University of Queensland