Subject: DOS mount, I should have listened...
To: netbsd-help <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John Maier <JohnAM@datastorm.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 03/01/1995 15:23:00
Okay, I thought I knew the answer to this question but...how do you mount a
100% DOS bootable, formatted hard-drive?  I've never had any problems with
diskettes and 'mount -t msdos /dev/fd0a /mnt'
If I try
'mount -t msdos /dev/wd0a /dosmnt'
I get
'msdos: mount: Invalid argument'

So I dug some more and I find in the FAQ something about doing a disklabel.
 So I entered:

'dislabel -e -r /dev/wd0a'

It tells me all about my IDE hard-drive: bytes/sec=512, sect/track=10
tracks/cyl(heads)=10, sect/cyl=170, and cyl=980 etc. (88 meg.)

I see my old partition(s) from an earlier install (NetBSD 0.9) and since I
no longer need it (do I ?) I changed it to read:

1 partitions:
     size offset    fstype    [fsize    bsize cpy]
  a:  166600        0    MS-DOS                 #(Cyl.  0-979)

Still no good!!!  Help Help Help!!! All I wanted to do was try WinE!

I cannot be blamed for not trying.

thanks
jam

BTW at least DOS still boots after my poking around!

*       John A. Maier          * Research Assistant For Datastorm    *
* E-mail: johnam@datastorm.com * Technologies Inc. (Procomm Plus)    *