Subject: Re: more troubles with new configuration
To: Tim Jackson <timj@millenium.tiac.net>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@novatel.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/25/1995 22:29:12
Tim Jackson <timj@millenium.tiac.net>  wrote:
 > 	I am now trying to use a 3com 3c509 ethernet controller in
 > netbsd 1.0.  I have used ne2000 cards alot, but the 3com is having
 > problems getting recognized at boot time.  I have tried three brand
 > new ethernet controllers.  The error I get is 3c509 is in test mode
 > -- erase pencil mark!  I look at the source code and it seem that
 > it cant read the ethernet address from the card.  Any thoughts or

This was found shortly after 1.0.  The problem was that newer 3c509
cards are plug-n-play compatible and when used in conjunction with
an AMI bios of rev 8 or later the card would be enabled by the
plug-n-play logic of the BIOS thereby disabling the normal 3Com
activation means.

There was one way around this and that is to disable plug-n-play
mode in the 3c5x9cfg program that comes with the card.  I've gotten
documentation from 3Com on how the card responds in plug-n-play
mode and I've printed off all the Microsoft documents on plug-n-play.
These docs now make a nice 4" high stack of paper that awaits my
attention.

I just *love* PC's... Just when you think you have everything
licked, some stupid company comes around and creates a new standard
that makes all of the old ones completely non-functional.