Subject: Re: is GNU sort still broken under -current?
To: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
From: J.T. Conklin <jconklin@netcom.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/22/1994 18:16:28
I think it's a little unfair to ask a question "Is sort *still*
broken", when there hasn't been a PR filed against it.

> Why on earth would anyone mess up all of the GNU utils so that it
> takes forever to upgrade them?

There are reasons why we integrate software into NetBSD in a different
way than the author distributes it.  The primary reason is because we
are maintaining an entire system, thus are needs are wildly different
than those who install the programs on our own.

And we tend to integrate new versions of software only after we have
evaluated their benefit, not just because the version number is higher
or some new obscure feature has been added.  When programs need to be
upgraded, they are.  Up till now, there has been no need to upgrade
sort.

> I can't tell which version of GNU sort came out with NetBSD 1.0
> 'cause the version number was torn off.  Please leave the
> merchandise tags on, it helps in situations like this.

It's not easy for me to tell either.  It looks like the version
numbers were torn off before it was initially imported from 386BSD.

> Do you want my port of GNU sort?

Sure.  Shar it up and enclose it in a PR.  Someone will get to it as
soon as we can.

	--jtc