Subject: Re: MODEMs on tty ports
To: Ernst J. du Toit <ernstjdt@maxwell.ctech.ac.za>
From: Colin BRADLEY <fox@marge.cs.mcgill.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/15/1994 18:26:26
Ernst J. du Toit wrote:

/*
 * Hi
 *
 * I'm currently running NetBSD-1.0 since upgrading form FreeBSD-1.5.1.
 * When I upgraded I noticed that the tty treatment has changed to be POSIX,
 * since I was swamped with work at the time I did'nt really worry.
 *
 * Now that the vac is on hand I want to reactive my ppp link. My question is:
 * With the carrier nonbehavoir and no cua devices what is the accepted way
 * to get dial-out working on NetBSD-1.0? I don't really fancy leaving CD
 * hard strapped on in my MODEM, etc.

	Uh, what is it exactly that you want to get going? You
	want to be able to dial out?

	I had a lot of problems with NetBSD-1.0 and dialout, the
	built in tip and cu programs don't work [very well, if at
	all].

	Although if you *have* to, I beleive there is a taylor
	uucp package upgrade and fixes on ftp.csos.orst.edu in
	/pub/netbsd or something like that.

	Alternatively, I would recommend that you get C-Kermit.

	There is a binary port to NetBSD-1.0, I think it may be
	available there as well, or in one of the package directories
	on that machine at MIT (Sorry I can't be more specific, I don't
	have the info with me...)

	C-Kermit works very nicely.

	As far as the devices, use dmesg to find out what the kernel
	found at bootup, ie com0 at 0xfffblahblah..

	Note that there are no com devices in /dev. So, just link
	a com device to the appropriate tty eg com0 -> tty00, and
	you're off.

	Or just use the tty??'s directly.

	As far as setting up /etc/ttys, if you just want to dialout,
	I don't think there is much to do....

	Is this what you needed to know?

	You might have to create the lock in /var, but I think
	it is already taken care of in 1.0.

Good luck..

Colin.

--