Subject: Re: printing problem
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG, che5ari@sun.leeds.ac.uk>
From: None <klee@rdcclink.rd.qms.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/14/1994 15:50:45

I have got an HP DeskJet 1200C/PS hooked up to a 486/25 running
NetBSD-1.0. The printer is connected via the parallel port (lpt0). When
I print small files, of one page, the page prints o.k. but I get a
second page with an error message from the printer, saying:-
 ERROR: timeout
 OFFENDING COMMAND: timeout
If I print a large file, eg:- 2Mb, only the error page comes out. The
printer works fine under DOS. Could anyone lend a clue as to what may be
going wrong.
<<<<
This looks like a PostScript job error.  Take a look at the /etc/printcap file
to see if you have a banner page turned on(my friend had problem with banner
pages), or look to see if some other parameters are turned on.  If you have any
filters turned on other than adding ^D at the end, turn them off for PostScript
printers.  The PostScript printers require ^D to end one job and reset the
PostScript interpreter.  Other than that, it will translate anything as
PostScript command.

Good Luck.

Kang