Subject: Re: printing problem
To: None <che5ari@sun.leeds.ac.uk>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/14/1994 12:12:20
>I have got an HP DeskJet 1200C/PS hooked up to a 486/25 running
>NetBSD-1.0. The printer is connected via the parallel port (lpt0). When
>I print small files, of one page, the page prints o.k. but I get a
>second page with an error message from the printer, saying:-
>	ERROR: timeout
>	OFFENDING COMMAND: timeout
>If I print a large file, eg:- 2Mb, only the error page comes out. The
>printer works fine under DOS. Could anyone lend a clue as to what may be
>going wrong.

Many of those HP printers require an EOF character (typically a control-D) at
the end of the file.  I had similar problems when trying to get an identical
printer working under Irix; this isn't a NetBSD-specific problem.

What you can do is to define an input filter via your printcap file that just
copies everything from standard in to standard out, and adds a control-D at
the end.  (This is going from memory, but I am pretty sure that's what I ended
up doing).  The DOS printer drivers for this printer already append the the
control-D at the end of the file.

To save yourself time, you can add a control-D at the end of the file manually
in Unix to make sure this is the problem, before you go diving into the
printcap file.

--Ken