Subject: diskless boot failure
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kenneth Stailey <kstailey@leidecker.gsfc.nasa.gov>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/09/1994 23:03:12
Today I decided to bring up a diskless NetBSD 1.0.  I found a 3Com card with
no documentation.  It does not say what kind of card it is.  I guessed 3C501
since it is 8-bit and old looking.  The only jumpers that I'm sure are in
the right position are IRQ=2 and DMA=disabled.

The jumpers on the card look like this:

|                                                                      |-+
|                                                                      | |
|                   io address   en                                    | |
|                   4 5 6 7 8 9                                        | |
|                           | |                                        | |
|                   | | | |      ||                                    | |
|                                                                      | |
|                                                                      |-+
|                         mem addr                                     |
|                         12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19                      |
|                               || ||    || || ||                      |
|                         || ||       ||                               |-+
|                                                                      | |
|                           interrupt   dma                            |-+
|                           2 3 4 5 6 7 1 2 3 1 2 3                    |
|                           |           |     |                        |
|                                        ack   req                     |

Does anyone know if this is really a 3C501?

anyhow...

I copied DISKLESS to THREECOM and changed only the following lines:

#device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 irq 9 iomem 0xd0000
#device ed1 at isa? port 0x250 irq 9 iomem 0xd8000
#device ed2 at isa? port 0x300 irq 10 iomem 0xcc000
device el0 at isa? port 0x300 irq 9
#device ep0 at isa? port ? irq ?
#device ie0 at isa? port 0x360 irq 7 iomem 0xd0000
#device le0 at isa? port 0x320 irq 10 drq 7

(reversed commented lines for uncommented ones in the ethernet section)

I'm running /etc/bootpd -s -d -d -d -d on a SCO box on the same segment.

The bootptab looks like this:

demolab:\
        :sm=255.255.255.198:\
        :hd=/usr/boot:\
        :ds=198.101.16.73:

vulcan:\
        :tc=demolab:\
        :ht=ethernet:\
        :ha=02608c084898:\
        :ip=198.102.19.99:

--------------------------------------
# uname -a
dbsco dbsco 3.2 2 i386

# /etc/bootpd -s -d -d -d -d -d
bootpd: bootptab mtime is Fri Dec  9 22:51:20 1994
bootpd: reading "/etc/bootptab"
bootpd: read 2 entries from "/etc/bootptab"

The NetBSD kernel boots and I get:

el0 at isa0 port 0x300-0x303 irq 9el0: address 02:60:8c:08:48:98
                                 ^^^^
                  yes, there is no space between these

But I get a panic in nfs_boot when reverse arp fails.