Subject: network troubles still
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jeff Weisberg <jaw@magoo.roc.ny.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/02/1994 00:16:10
Ever since 1.0 came out and I did the upgrade thing, I been ripping
my hair out trying unsuccessfully to get networking to function.

The scenerii (scenarios?):

#1) i486 NetBSD box mounts fs from Sun box. They are connected via
    thin ether (pc has GVC NE2000 clone at ed0 io x300, irq 9).
    As soon as I start with some NFS traffic (such as compiling)
    (actually delta T varies quite a bit, sometimes it even does make
    it thru a compile) the machine locks. Dead. This is with both
    a 1.0 and current(~11/28) kernel.

#2) same 2 boxen and kerneli, but we try to factor out possible
    problems with Mr. EtherCard, so we hook'em up with slip. We
    mount the same fs from the sun, and try to compile. After several
    minutes, the machine does not hang, just NFS (all processes which
    were using, or try to use that fs go into D wait). Other traffic
    passes along fine.

#3) new boxen. 1.0 kernel. slip line, (the other end of which was tried
    both an MSDOS shareware NFS client and also NetBSD 1.0). After
    several minutes of NFS serving, as above it didn't hang the machine,
    but unlike above, other traffic flows not either, an attempt to
    ping the other end of the slip line complains: "sendto: No Buffers
    available"

any help, insights, or replacement hair, much appreciated
	--jeff