Subject: pcvt & X
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.Org>
From: Benjamin Lewis <blewis@vet.vet.purdue.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/29/1994 19:47:02
Hello-

	I feel silly asking this, but... how do you change virtual consoles
(using the pcvt driver supplied with NetBSD-1.0) while running XFree-3.1?  I
assume that it's possible, since I've seen messages from people who
are running multiple X servers on different virtual consoles.

	I'm fairly sure that I have everything configured correctly.  I am
able to use virtual consoles, and X happily runs on one of them.  I just
can't figure out what to type or what key combination is required to
switch to another console.

	I have also read the pcvt.4, README.NetBSD, INSTALLATION and Doc/*
documents, as well as many of the X man pages, and some of the source code.
I presume that I just missed the information.

	After reading one of the pcvt man pages, I tried the scon program.
That didn't work (below):
		oddity:blewis:/home/blewis [1] >>scon -c 3
		ioctl VGASETSCREEN failed: Inappropriate ioctl for device

scon -c does work fine on a regular virtual console, it only fails like that
when run in an xterm.

	I would include the various configuration files, but I'm assuming
the answer is something like: CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-mumble, and not some wacky
configuration error on my part.  I will include the uname -a output though,
to show that I'm not completely wacky and trying to do this on a VAX or
something :)

NetBSD oddity.vampyre.org 1.0 NetBSD 1.0 (ODDITY.pcvt) #0: Sat Oct 29 08:58:21 EST 1994     root@oddity.vampyre.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/ODDITY.pcvt i386

	The machine is an i486DX33, and is not connected to the net (hence
the weird 3AM inspired hostname).

	Thank you for any help you can provide.

	-Ben Lewis (blewis@vet.vet.purdue.edu)