Subject: Help! P-90 and Bustec 946C SCSI won't work
To: None <netbsd-help@Netbsd.org>
From: Richard Wackerbarth <ifzd321@mcl.cc.utexas.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/20/1994 11:11:31
After using NetBSD-Mac for some time, I finally got my first Intel box.
It is a P5-90 32meg ram on the Intel Motherboard.

In anticipation, I borrowed a 386 and got the system up on wd0. I also made
the appropriate install floppies. (kcbt-10 16Oct94, Inst-10)

When my machine arrived yesterday, I plugged the HD in and everything came
up as expected.

So I added my BusTech 946C PCI SCSI adapter, Seagate 2gig drive, and a CD Rom.
I also did the low level format (and later, a DOS format)

Booting from the floppy, I notice a minor problem. The first
prompt/response no longer waits for me to hit return. It immediately uses
the fd for root.
I disconnected the SCSI and the same thing still happens. Therefore, I
think it is the boot sequence in general that is having the problem.

But not to worry, I juggle things around and get the "install" script to run.

BTW: The autoconfig correctly discovers the scsi adapter, the sd0 drive and
the cd0 drive. THe reported cyl/track/sector info is correct.

When I get down to actually to doing the disk partition map, the procedure
fails with timeout errors on sd0(0:0).

Has anyone gotten this card to work? Perhaps I have some BIOS setting problems.
Since I really don't know much about BIOS, I need some help.

The BSDI line is that this works if you have a current rev of the card (I do).
I don't want to have to desert NetBSD, but I MUST get this working.  Any
suggestions?

TIA, Richard