Subject: Graphics stuff not redrawing in XFree86-3.1...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mark 'GIANT-SIZED!!' Tamola <buckwild@u.washington.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 10/14/1994 21:09:46
To any who can help me,

I know that XFree86 specific stuff is discouraged here, but no one ever
mails me back when I mail to the XFree86 team, so I hope someone on this
list can help me.

The problem is that my windows (in XFree86-3.1) do not redraw properly.
For example, when one window overlays another, there is a "trace" of it
left that was not redrawn properly.  Thus, if there was a gray window
covering part of a white xterm, when the gray window is moved, there is
still a gray part over the white xterm where the gray window originally
was.  Get it? 8)  Anyway, this happens with all of my apps.

I found this to happen when using xterms or other programs more often
when the root window was in its default "zig zag" pattern.  If I set the
root window to a solid color, the problem would go away for the xterms
only, but any other programs still have the redrawing problem.

What the heck causes this?  I tried compiling my own X server from
straight X11R6pl5 with XFre86 patches, and ALSO I used the one from the
pre-compiled binaries, but that X server still did the same thing.  Thus,
it can't be the software (I think).  Could a wrong setting in the
XF86Config file be the problem?  Or perhaps something wierd with the
hardware drivers?

I have never experienced this problem before using XFree86-2.0 or
-2.1.1, so I can't understand why my hardware could be tweaking out.  If
it helps any, I have a Paradise(??) SVGA Hi-Color card with a WD90C31
chip in it with 1024k VRAM.  I use this with a CTX CMS-1561 15" monitor.

Has anyone else experienced this?  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

--Mark Steven de Sagun Tamola
--buckwild@u.washington.edu