Subject: mounting 100% MS-DOS disk
To: None <netbsd-help@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: Jan Morales <jan@homer.filetek.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/21/1994 17:00:33
I have an IDE disk with MS-DOS and a SCSI disk with NetBSD 1.0_BETA.
If you just turn the machine on it'll boot MS-DOS.  I have a floppy
with a slightly-modified boot program (it defaults to hd(1,a)/netbsd)
which I put in the floppy drive if I want to boot NetBSD.

My question: there is no NetBSD partition on the IDE drive so how do
I mount it on NetBSD as a msdosfs filesystem?  I recall someone saying
that what one can do is create a one-cylinder partition for NetBSD on
the IDE disk so there's someplace to put the disklabel.  Is this the
accepted practice or is there some form of fstab entry or mount_msdos
command that will allow the mount with my setup as is that I'm not
aware of?  I'm more than happy to sacrifice the one cylinder if that's
necessary.

Jan