Subject: Re: 8-bit ethernet error
To: Joe Budzyn <budzyn@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
From: David Deaven <deaven@ishmael.ameslab.gov>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/20/1994 16:20:51
>  Well, my cards were purchased about a month and a half ago, so they are quit
>new.  I don't know how to check about the 790 NIC however.  The serious
>error is the speed that is lost.  I can not have 30 second delays on a
>production server that many people will use.  Does the 1.0 release address
>this problem?  When will it be released?  Will the Ultra cards be supported?
>Is there a patch for 0.9?

  The -1.0 release has an updated SMC driver.  If your cards work AT ALL
with -0.9 then they do not have the 790 NIC chip.  They might be quite old
revisions, regardless of when you actually bought them.

  I tried (not very successfully) to patch the -0.9 driver to bring
it up to the -1.0 driver. The i386/ISA code changes between -0.9 and -1.0
pushed me into going with -1.0_BETA instead of waiting for -1.0.

  If you have the -0.9 system up, moving to NetBSD/i386-1.0_BETA is not too
bad.  If you cannot wait for -1.0 officially (I am not a member of the
NetBSD team so I won't speculate on how long that will be) I would
recommend that you go with -1.0_BETA.  It is very stable (as stable as
-0.9 in my 2 weeks of running it).  A good source is ftp.iastate.edu, look
for the binary tarballs.   I can send you some more detailed instructions
if you are really interested.   Required skills include rebuilding kernels,
re-compiling some userland stuff, and a good knowledge of single user mode.

  If you can wait for -1.0, that's the better course of action IMHO.

Dave Deaven <deaven@ishmael.ameslab.gov>