Subject: Re: 8-bit ethernet error
To: David Deaven <deaven@ishmael.ameslab.gov>
From: Joe Budzyn <budzyn@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/20/1994 16:27:17

> >  I have two 386sx-20 and a 486dx-33 pc's that I am testing NetBSD 0.9p1
> [...]
> >  The 386's hd 8-bit SMC elite cards.  I kept getting a receiver ring buffer
> >overflow error, about every 5 minutes during normal use and about every 30
> >seconds during an NFS transfer.  This would halt network operation until
> [...goes on to describe getting 16bit cards, finding same...]
>
>    My "old" 16-bit SMC Elite (without the 790 NIC) gives these errors a
> few times per day with no harmful side effects in NetBSD-0.9.  The newer
> 16-bit SMC cards (with the 790 NIC) do not give me the errors in
> NetBSD-1.0_BETA (and they too perform flawlessly).  There are two
> variables changing here, both of which are relevant to the ring buffer
> overruns.  Perhaps you should wait and install NetBSD-1.0 when it is
> released, and if you still get serious errors, switch to a later rev board.
> (By "serious", I mean something other than the occasional log message about
> overruns. :) )
>
> Dave Deaven <deaven@ishmael.amslab.gov>

  Well, my cards were purchased about a month and a half ago, so they are quite
new.  I don't know how to check about the 790 NIC however.  The serious
error is the speed that is lost.  I can not have 30 second delays on a
production server that many people will use.  Does the 1.0 release address
this problem?  When will it be released?  Will the Ultra cards be supported?
Is there a patch for 0.9?

  Joe