Subject: 8-bit ethernet error
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Joe Budzyn <budzyn@clunix.cl.msu.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/20/1994 14:19:46
  I have two 386sx-20 and a 486dx-33 pc's that I am testing NetBSD 0.9p1 on.
I have come across an error that I have posted to news and has not been
answered.  Here is the problem:

  The 386's hd 8-bit SMC elite cards.  I kept getting a receiver ring buffer
overflow error, about every 5 minutes during normal use and about every 30
seconds during an NFS transfer.  This would halt network operation until the
buffer was cleared, while the server kept trying to send more data that
caused the buffer to continue to overflow.  Eventually the error stopped for
a while until the buffer filled again.

  I asked this question in the bsd newsgroups and the answer I got was get a
faster machine and/or 16 bit card.  I put 16 bit cards in both machines
and the problem.  Now one month later, I have seen the problem, albeit
infrequently.

  I got the 486 with an 8-bit card and tried to install NetBSD on it and the
same error occured.  I put FreeBSD 1.5.1.1 (or something, whatever is the
latest) on it and it worked flawlessly.  This leads me to believe that it
is a problem in the ethernet driver.

  I don't think that a faster machine or card is the answer.  You give me a
faster machine and I will slow it down enough and the problem will reappear.
Well.  Any ideas?
  Joe