Subject: Re: Changing RPM
To: None <klee@rdcclink.rd.qms.com>
From: Ken Hornstein <kenh@entropic.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/19/1994 16:27:53
>     Yesterday, I was reading an ad. in misc.forsale section and saw an ad.
>     of an IDE drive which was exactly same as mine(Micropolis 2217A 1.7
>     Gig IDE).  It stated that the drive's rpm was 5400.  When I took a
>     look at my drive with disklabel -r, it had 3600 for rpm.  Can I change
>     the RPM to 5400 without messing up files? What would be the safest
>     procedure to change it?  Any help or comment would be greatly
>     appreciated.

It's my understanding that the RPM entry in the disklabel is only used to
better optimize disk transfers; it's used to calculate which transfers
should come next to get better throughput, etc etc.  Changing it should not
affect anything; I'm not sure, but it might not even affect your throughput
unless you would newfs your paritions again.

I'm not sure I'd bother myself; I would think the difference would be too
small to notice.

--Ken