Subject: Small problem with vi and pcvt in NetBSD-1.0BETA (c. 9/1/94)
To: None <NetBSD-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mark 'GIANT-SIZED!!' Tamola <buckwild@u.washington.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/1994 00:10:30
Dear sirs,

Very sorry if this is an FAQ, but I haven't heard of the problem before
in the archives, only a problem with pcvt and X (which this isn't about
since I have no problems with X).

What happens is that when using pcvt, starting up vi only takes up about
half of what the screen is supposed to do.  For example, I'll start up
"vi [filename]" and it will only fill half of the screen, the bottom half
is just empty (except for the command bar at the bottom).  It will not
allow me to page down the file either, nor can I skip to the bottom of
the file.  The screen just sits there at that position, unless I MANUALLY
move the cursor down the file using the arrow keys.  To resolve this, I
have to push F3 to do a "force 24 lines", and then push it again to put
it back into 25 lines.  It doesn't matter whether I start in 24 line mode
or 25, still the same, and I still have to push F3 to get out of it.

My termcap is the one provided with the PCVT driver, and I made a new
termcap.db from it as well.  I am also using the rc.local provided with
PCVT.  Is this a normal reaction from vi under pcvt, and can it be fixed
so that it just starts up correctly without having to reset the terminal
and stuff?

Thanks for any help/suggestions.

---> Mark Steven de Sagun Tamola
---> buckwild@u.washington.edu
---> And God said:  "Let there be man...", and then I appeared...