Subject: Re: no available ptys
To: None <netbsd-help@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu, bmilliga@NMSU.Edu>
From: None <klee@rdcclink.rd.qms.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/12/1994 14:19:17

 am running netbsd 0.9 and Xfree 2.0.  After opening 2-3 xapps I get
the message

 no available ptys

Telnet sessions are also disabled because they cannot find a port and
emacs shell buffers don't work for lack of a terminal.  How can I
increase the number of available ptys?  Lots are in /dev so I my naive
guess is that the kernel needs to be reconfigured.  Changing maxusers
from 10 to 32 seems to make no difference.

     I had the same problem(I am still a novice). There are two ways to do
     it.

     !. Get the source for NetBSD 0.9 kernel, increase number of pty's in
     configuration file, and rebuild it.

     2. Upgrade to NetBSD-1.0Beta binaries from ftp.iastate.edu, and
     ftp.laas.fr for XFree86 2.1.1 binaries.  The ptys in NetBSD 1.0Beta is
     more than 4.

     Maybe you should also buy a book, called "X Window System
     Administrator's Guide" by O'Reilly & Associates.  It helped me a lot,
     including the question you asked.

     Kang