Subject: 8 Meg per process?
To: None <netbsd-help@sun-lamp.cs.berkeley.edu>
From: None <bmilliga@NMSU.Edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/12/1994 08:21:42
I am writing some code that constructs some rather large data
structures and am having malloc fail to allocate space.  A little test
program that just allocates space in progressively larger blocks seems
to fail after about 8M have been allocated, regardless of the way that
space is apportioned into blocks.

Is there a kernel limitation on how much space can be allocated to
each process?  If so, how might that limit be increased?

By the way, I am running netbsd 0.9/Xfree 2.0 with 32 M RAM and 64 M
swap, Buslogic 445S VLB scsi controller, SMC ethernet, SVGA,
brain-dead IO card.  I would have expected that much more than 8 M
could have been allocated based on the physical availability of
memory.

Once again, any help is greatly appreciated.

Brook Milligan	                   bmilliga@nmsu.edu
Department of Biology              505-646-7980
New Mexico State University
Las Cruces, New Mexico  88003