Subject: NetBSD & FreeBSD together?
To: None <Brian.Ginsbach@ac.com>
From: Gene Stark <starkhome!gene@sbstark.cs.sunysb.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 08/26/1994 17:01:07
   Date: Fri, 26 Aug 1994 09:27:07 -0500
   From: Brian Ginsbach - PRA <Brian.Ginsbach@ac.com>

   > >Now here is what happens.  If I leave NetBSD partition marked as
   > >something other than 165 (I used 164), FreeBSD boots (no matter which
   > >partition is set up in os-bs).  If I change the ID of NetBSD partition
   > >to 165 then only NetBSD boots (etc).
   >
   > Well, you might consider how NetBSD or FreeBSD feels when it boots up
   > and finds that its root partition has an ID other than the expected 165.

   No.  I being the heartless cad I am did not take there feelings in to
   account ;-)

   > Did you change whatever else needs to be changed in NetBSD to make it
   > recognize a partition with an ID of 164 as its own?

   How?  I am not familiar with bootstrap loaders, etc.

I'd have to scrounge through the wd driver code, etc. to figure it out.
The only point I am making is that you can't expect to randomly change
a partition ID on a disk, which is there for a reason, without finding
out where that partition ID is checked and making corresponding changes.

							- Gene Stark