re: Diskless NetBSD HOW-TO (http://www.netbsd.org/docs/network/netboot/)

> > The NFS subsection (http://www.netbsd.org/docs/network/netboot/nfs.html)
> > indicates that "/export/client/swap" should be exported as a diretory, but
> > this does not make sense since "/export/client/swap" is the actual swap
> > file.
>
> That doc has aged badly: "Most versions of linux only implement NFS2".

yeah, it really is.  we added normal swap to nfs file a long time
ago, not really that much longer than the "nfsmntpt" mount point
option.  i've just been using plain swap files for decades.

it would be great if someone updated this doc.

> That hasn't been true for _many_ years and indeed, by now the reverse
> is true. Most Linux distros prefer NFSv4, will provide NFSv3, but have
> NFSv2 disabled by default. Which plays merry hell with netbooting NetBSD
> off a Linux server, because that _needs_ NFSv2 (at least for a sparc64
> client), making the addition of RPCNFSDOPTS="--nfs-version 2,3,4" to the
> appropriate config necessary. Yes, it took me staring at packet captures
> to figure that one out.

this sounds more like a build-time option we can probably fix.
eg, ofwboot and kernel just need to do the right thing and try
nfsv3 before nfsv2.

anyone want to look at fixing it for us? :)

.mrg.