Re: realpath.3 wording

On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 03:17:54PM +0100, Timo Buhrmester wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 20, 2017 at 03:05:40PM +0100, Martin Husemann wrote:
> > You mean "is" ?
> That would give "[...] is resolvedname was not allocated by realpath()".
>
> I really did mean 'if' because IF resolvedname is caller-allocated,
> realpath(3) will store information about the offending pathname there.

I still find it highly confusing. Maybe:

RETURN VALUES
     If resolvedname is NULL, it will be allocated and the returned pointer
     can be deallocated using free(3).  The realpath() function returns
     resolvedname on success.

     If an error occurs, realpath() returns NULL.

     In the error case, if resolvedname was not NULL, it will contain the
     pathname which caused the problem.

Martin