How to handle broken links?

Hi,

when looking at the NetBSD-website, you will encounter several broken links.
The linked websites are either 404s or the domain is completely sold.

I just wanted to supply a patch to take out this link, but I think, the
question is more general:

How to handle broken links if you finde one? Write a patch to throw them out?
Then the website will become smaller and smaller. So, one should try to
supply new content at the same time, but not everyone is capable of doing so
(e.g. lacking proper English).

Regards, Julian