NetBSD-Docs archive

Re: NAME_MAX usage not consistent across man pages

On Mon, May 24, 2010 at 08:38:03AM +0300, Jukka Ruohonen wrote:
> On Sun, May 23, 2010 at 11:01:16PM +0200, Nicolas Joly wrote:
> > To be consistent across all pages, we should use a single expression
> > in all pages. I'm for using the `.Brq Dv NAME_MAX' one, which add the
> > braces (without spaces, following the opengroup man pages) using a
> > mdoc macro.
> I think all #defined constants should be marked with just .Dv, as is noted
> also in mdoc.samples(7). If the ".Brq Dv" would be preferred, there are
> thousands (or maybe even tens of thousands...) instances that should be
> changed as well.

I don't think we must necessary do the same for all defined

For NAME_MAX and a few others, while they are indeed defined values,
they are refered in man pages more as symbolic limits. My point here
was to follow the opengroup typographic conventions.

Nicolas Joly

Biological Software and Databanks.
Institut Pasteur, Paris.