Subject: Re: netbsd guide
To: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@alumni.uni-due.de>
From: Bernd Limbach <LimbachB@web.de>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 05/03/2007 09:11:54
Hi Mark,

> sorry for the late reply

no worries, I am really busy at work too and additionally
some sort of cut from Internet right now, so I cannot reply
"immediately".

>> This could lead to some sort of an "extended/User" guide covering
>> installing and configuring software from pkgsrc, which can lead up to
>> creating a desktop environment based on the NetBSD OS.
>
> Sure - go for it.

I thought you would say that...

> But is the setup of GNOME or KDE on NetBSD so specific that a whole
> guide book is needed? A few topics (like soundservers, flash support or
> 3d graphics setup) should really be documented, but there should not be
> redundant docs (things that are already documented by the KDE, GNOME or
> X.org projects).

I had (already forgot I think) some ideas, I'll try to spit
out something when I find time to put it down. In theory
setting up GNOME, KDE etc. should be straightforward (via
pkgsrc), maybe there are some little hints which could be
useful...

Sound came to my mind too in the last couple of days...

> I really miss a "Backup (and Restore!) Guide" and a detailed
> OpenVPN HOWTO for NetBSD. Maybe you could start with these ;-)

Kidding are you, he? ;-)

I will think about in more detail what I want to do with the
system and figure out what will be needed...

That will take some more time anyway, please do not expect
something early.

Bernd