Subject: Re: netbsd guide
To: Mark Weinem <mark.weinem@alumni.uni-duisburg-essen.de>
From: Bernd Limbach <LimbachB@web.de>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/26/2007 19:53:34
Mark Weinem wrote:
> Klaus Heinz:
>
>> Is the guide supposed to be a comprehensive manual for NetBSD? This
>> would be similar to what the FreeBSD handbook tries to achieve, [...]
>
> Yes, and that's what i don't like about the FreeBSD handbook: it blurs the
> separation between the base OS and the additional applications (one of
> the famous characteristic of the BSDs)
>
> I like to have a document that "represents" the tools and features of the
> base OS - all other things should go into separate guides or
> HOWTOs/"articles".

I was thinking a bit about that in the last two days after
Marks comments on my initial email and it makes sense
considering that NetBSD _is_ the base OS. So it should be
left like that.

I haven't had a look at htdocs including the guide and the
HOWTOs etc. (doing cvs checkout now), but the same style
would be good. This could lead to some sort of an
"extended/User" guide covering installing and configuring
software from pkgsrc, which can lead up to creating a
desktop environment based on the NetBSD OS.

What about a HOWTO guide book, where various HOWTOs can be
collected into one guide and evolve? This may can be
combined with Klaus thought...

Bernd