Subject: Re: NetBSD Documentation Framework - how to do it
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 12/14/2006 20:48:02
Hubert Feyrer wrote:
> Just an idea: what do you think of TeX?
> Gives print and (with latex2html) HTML.

Hi Hubert,

There are two problems with TeX (which I use all the time for letters).

1.  It makes ugly websites.  If you disagree, please point me to one you
like.

2.  It controls form directly, through typesetting, rather than
indirectly, through semantic tags and stylesheets.  That make constistent
styling among several authors separated by time and distance very
difficult.

I imagine, given LaTeX's astounding flexibility, that the latter point
(and perhaps both) could be addressed through macros.  But in the end we'd
only re-invent DocBook.

Regards,

--jkl