Subject: Re: linux cross-compilation
To: Lubomir Kundrak <lkundrak@redhat.com>
From: Narayana Prasad <nprasad@embeddedinfotech.com>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 10/16/2006 12:41:29
Hi Lubo
    Sorry for not being clear the first time. The patch is not required
for the 3.0.1. The author of the article had documented the steps in May
2003 and what i was trying to say is that the patch is no longer
required. However, there is one change in the patch that NetBSD
distribution doesnt have. The lack of this change causes a re-definition
warning for every C file being compiled and the patch is not critical.
The rest of the documention is primarily 2 steps - one is to build the
tools(which is essential for cross-compilation from linux) and the
second is to build the kernel itself.

Also only when i read the comments inside build.sh did i realize that it
was intended for use on all POSIX shells. This  was not evident to me
from the NetBSD documentation. Searching through mailing lists was
giving me hits on problem reports rather than solutions. So i thought
that it will be useful for others to know that cross-compiling NetBSD
from linux is not rocket-science. If these steps are already covered
somewhere in the NetBSD documentation can you please point me to that
and in that case, there wouldnt be a need to add new documentation.

Thanks
Prasad