Subject: Re: ZFS on "NetBSD Projects" page
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: James K. Lowden <jklowden@schemamania.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 09/24/2006 23:56:50
Mark Weinem wrote:
> As far as I know, there are
> no official statements from Core or TNF against the CDDL.
>
> [...]  Has this issue still to be clarified
> by TNF?

Need it be?

AFAIK, TNF doesn't vet licenses or provide legal advice about the
codebase.  Certainly Core has no particular legal expertise or standing.

I think it might perhaps be better to word the caution more neutrally e.g.
"zfs is licensed under CDDL."  That leaves it to the developer.  I don't
know what more can be said, apart from seeking legal opinions or relying
on received wisdom, neither of which would mean much a judge, should it
come to that.

If someone wants a pure BSD binary, I would think it wouldn't be much
trouble to remove zfs with config(8).

--jkl