Subject: Re: adding an xml validate target
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: Hiroki Sato <hrs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/25/2006 04:18:22
----Security_Multipart(Tue_Apr_25_04_18_22_2006_059)--

Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org> wrote
  in <20060423172836.GB28683@netmeister.org>:

js> Hiroki Sato <hrs@NetBSD.org> wrote:
js>
js> >  BTW, "make lint" with the attached patch will generate a lot of
js> >  errors at this moment, but please be careful to correctly
js> >  understand what each error means.
js>
js> Thanks for adding this feature.  This looks a lot like what we would
js> want.  So from the output I gather that our website currently does not
js> validate in the least bit!
js>
js> If I understand this correctly, then apparently a <webpage> can not even
js> have <sectN>s.
js>
js> <listitem>s need to contain <para>s and can not have direct content and
js> html attributes (for example, for img or table tags) are not accepted,
js> either.
js>
js> Do I read this correctly?

 Yes, it is correct.  Strictly, the former is because we are currently
 using Simplified DocBook DTD (a subset of DocBook tag set) via the
 Website DTD.  In this DTD, <section> is allowed, not <sect?> variants.

 I am still wondering which DTD (simplified or full version)
 should be used for our website, but correcting errors from "make lint"
 will not be waste of time in either case.