Subject: Re: Autogenerating indexes in docbook
To: None <netbsd-docs@NetBSD.org>
From: Hiroki Sato <hrs@NetBSD.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/25/2006 03:52:23
----Security_Multipart(Tue_Apr_25_03_52_23_2006_977)--

Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netmeister.org> wrote
  in <20060424131237.GB7626@netmeister.org>:

js> Roland Illig <rillig@NetBSD.org> wrote:
js>
js> > I would like to have an additional attribute for the <varname> tag, so
js> > that I can write <varname index="yes">CONFIGURE_ARGS</varname>, and the
js> > variable will automatically appear in the variable index (another
js> > appendix). From there, a backlink should go to the location where the
js> > variable is used (for both the HTML and the PDF output). In the
js> > page-oriented output formats, the index should contain line numbers, and
js> > in the one-page HTML and the plain text formats, the index should
js> > contain the section number.
js> >
js> > Is that possible or do we need to switch to another documentation format
js> > to do this?
js>
js> It is my understanding that this should be possible.  (Just as a side
js> note, I believe that operations like this are what make the processing
js> of the documents slow and resource intensive, as the entire document
js> tree needs to be processed to generate the index.)

 Yes, possible.  Generating index is still not so resource intensive
 compared to the normal typeset process we are using now because
 it can also be done together with generating ToC or so.
 I think I will add this to my TODO list anyway.

 BTW, should we have a complete reference manual for make variables
 in pkgsrc as an appendix?