Subject: Re: Autogenerating indexes in docbook
To: None <>
From: Jan Schaumann <>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/24/2006 09:12:37

Roland Illig <> wrote:
> I would like to have an additional attribute for the <varname> tag, so=20
> that I can write <varname index=3D"yes">CONFIGURE_ARGS</varname>, and the=
> variable will automatically appear in the variable index (another=20
> appendix). From there, a backlink should go to the location where the=20
> variable is used (for both the HTML and the PDF output). In the=20
> page-oriented output formats, the index should contain line numbers, and=
> in the one-page HTML and the plain text formats, the index should=20
> contain the section number.
> Is that possible or do we need to switch to another documentation format=
> to do this?

It is my understanding that this should be possible.  (Just as a side
note, I believe that operations like this are what make the processing
of the documents slow and resource intensive, as the entire document
tree needs to be processed to generate the index.)

"You just come along with me and have a good time. The Galaxy's a
fun place. You'll need to have this fish in your ear."

Version: GnuPG v1.4.1 (NetBSD)