Subject: Autogenerating indexes in docbook
To: None <>
From: Roland Illig <>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/24/2006 02:18:24

does the DocBook that we use for the pkgsrc guide (same as in htdocs)
allow for an automatic generation of an index? I'd like to provide a
variable name index, so that users can quickly check what a variable means.

Currently there are 396 different variables recorded in pkglint's file
<filename></filename>, some of which can even be
parameterized, for example <varname>SITES</varname> is usually used as
<varname>SITES.distfile-1.0.tar.gz</varname>. Only very few of these
variables are actually documented in the pkgsrc guide.

I would like to have an additional attribute for the <varname> tag, so
that I can write <varname index="yes">CONFIGURE_ARGS</varname>, and the
variable will automatically appear in the variable index (another
appendix). From there, a backlink should go to the location where the
variable is used (for both the HTML and the PDF output). In the
page-oriented output formats, the index should contain line numbers, and
in the one-page HTML and the plain text formats, the index should
contain the section number.

Is that possible or do we need to switch to another documentation format
to do this?