Subject: Re: adding an xml validate target
To: None <netbsd-docs@netbsd.org>
From: Jan Schaumann <jschauma@netbsd.org>
List: netbsd-docs
Date: 04/23/2006 16:04:02
--5p8PegU4iirBW1oA

Simas Mockevicius <symka@NetBSD.vejas.lt> wrote:
> Maybe I'm wrong, but our htdocs was converted to xml, to
> be more close to guide? If it is not:
>=20
> a) we don't want PHP as an online generator of our pages;
> b) maybe we can do folowing: convert PHP code with templates
> to html and then put it on the web? As far as I know PHP
> deals faster with those things we do in XML?

PHP has a number of problems, though:  the server needs to run the php,
which makes it vulnerable to any security problems found in php (and
they are plenty, and regular).  In addition, this means that all mirrors
would need to run php as well.

I don't think a server-side technology is any solution.

The other advantage of XML (if it were implemented correctly) is that we
could generate other formats from it.

-Jan

--=20
http://www.netbsd.org -